Saturday, July 5, 2008

Trails

I got up early this morning to get ready for a killer training run. I decided a couple of weeks ago that I couldn't do that cool 15k I'd planned to do because of Willie's recovery. SO in it's place I found a 10 miler - a week earlier - a trail run. Sounded like a good idea at the time and coach said sure, but it's not a race, it's a training run. Okay, no problem.

So I drove about an hour to this beautiful park where I met up with about 100 of my craziest friends. I say crazy because, well, only crazy people pay to do this kind of stuff. It was really a beautiful run, but I'm not used to trails - not like this one, not this long, and steep and, well, difficult. It's been a while since I hiked in the mountains - and that was what this trail run reminded me of. There were steep up hills and down hills. Rocks, sand, roots, trees, blackberry bushes. One of those blackberry bushes had the nerve to actually untie one of my double knotted shoe laces. one of those roots tried to send me sprawling into the mud. (I won that one) The sand up the hill they called T Rex was killer, but not as bad as the roots and loose rocks on the downhills.

I'm still icing my knee (which tried to give out around mile 4), even after sitting in the ice cold creek at the end of the trail. And after all that, I have to add. I had a blast! It was nasty! It was scary in places! It was fun! Now, if I can only walk tomorrow, I'll be all set.

1 comment:

Alili said...

See, trails are cool:)