Sunday, July 20, 2008

Can I?

Can I really qualify for Boston this year? I've been getting kind of fed up with my training lately. Not the schedule or even the individual workouts, but with my performance. It seems I'd forgotten what coach told me at the beginning of our adventur together almost 7 months ago. I forgot that I wasn't supposed to win all of my workouts. I forgot that the slow steady zone 1 and zone 2 workouts were for a reason and that the produced results. I forgot. So I did what any good athlete would do. I reviewed my previous training logs. I went back in time to check... was I really this slow at this time during my last training base phase? Was it really this tedious and this frustrating? The answer, was a resounding YES! Much to my amazement and relief. Ok, I guess I'm on track. I guess I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. This is good.

Now, can I really qualify for Boston? Earlier this year I tried to cut 26 minutes off my personal best to reach a time goal. I cut off 11. That was a damn fine accomplishment and I was very happy with it, but it wasn't 26. Now I find myself in a similar position at least at this juncture. In order to qualify, I have to cut almost 26 minutes off my new personal best. If I'm doing the math right, that would be about 37 minutes or so total to cut off a marathon PR in one calendar year. A lofty goal. I've set lofty goals before, albeit never in anything athletic, but I'm up for the challenge. I'm going to keep working toward this new goal and see what happens. And heck, maybe I'll run Boston next year, maybe I'll even be in a skirt!

No comments: