Monday, July 28, 2008

Get it done

Today started off with my first post-lesson session in the pool. All on my own at 6:40 in the morning, I stood beside the pool, looking over a swim workout, trying to commit it to memory, trying to figure out if that was REALLY the best thing for me to do, trying to decide which lane was the slowest and ask that nice person if I could join them. I know nothing about pool etiquette. I am a novice. It's one of the things I liked best about swim lessons. A lane and an instructor to myself. All on my own time... all about me.

So as I stood around, I must have looked lost because this nice older gentleman told me I could swim in his lane - he was going to be walking in it for another 30 minutes and we could share. This seemed like a really grand idea because well, there would be little wake, there would be no "competition" or feeling like I was going to get run over, drown, hit, etc... I jumped in and swam off. I did the swim test that was prescribed on the "swimplan" site I downloaded - so they could give me a program more appropriate for my ability next time. I was completely winded after 100 yards. (Have I mentioned I'm a beginner?) With the oxygen deficit, I promptly forgot what was on the schedule along with how many yards I swam. So I just did a little of this, a little of that, some drills the instructors had taught me, some breast stroke, some back stroke when I got tired, practiced some flip turns. I was so excited when I actually was able to execute a flip turn AND continue breathing for an entire length of the pool. Baby steps! I did it twice. Maybe tomorrow I can go for three times!

After about 40 minutes, I'd had enough of the pool. I said goodbye to my lane partner and the football players next to me who provided plenty of wake (thank you very much) for triathlon training. Then it was home in time for an ab workout before shower and work.

This afternoon it was onto the nutritionist. Surprisingly he told me I was doing pretty well - with balance and intervals and intake. I just needed fine tuning (and what he didn't comment on, but I know to be true - CONSISTENCY). My body fat percentage was much better than I thought it would be so now with a "test" date lined up for 6 weeks from now, I have incentive to stay on the plan and make that number better - thus (hopefully) improving my performance along the way.

This is all seemingly good news. Except I'm anxious about it. Anxious that it's so close that the small changes won't make a difference, that my performance just is what it is... sorry that's all you get... that my weight, my body composition are as good as they are ever going to get... sorry that's all there is.... But rather than defeat myself before I get started, I'm going to try because I want to see if a difference can be had. I have a test coming up and I usually test pretty well. I've always thrived in that type of situation, that type of stress is something I understand.

So.... let's forget about the weekend and the bad diet choices and the consequently less than stellar performance on the run. Let's go get it done!

No comments: