Monday, July 7, 2008

Swim lessons

I had so much fun today at the pool. Today was my first day of swim lessons. I've never had any, but I've taught myself the basics along the way. Without any formal training or really knowing what I was doing, I've always been a bit apprehensive in the pool. I have always felt like I could do better. I've always had trouble getting my breathing under control, always struggled with form and strength and endurance and speed.... In short, I've never been friends with the pool.

So I decided to rectify that. I signed up for swim lessons ... beginner swim lessons... and they started today. So I went to the pool with a little trepidation, but a lot of excitement, ready to learn. And I did. I got better breathing. I had to swim with the little barbell thingy and practice breathing for entire lengths of the pool ... it was easier when I got to use my arms. I got some pointers on making my kick stronger. And I got to practice my stroke. Even got a compliment on my stroke. Now I just need to figure out how to get in more air - or not let as much out so I don't feel so winded at the end of a darn length.

I didn't know what to expect today going to swim lessons. I didn't know if I'd be as good as everyone else. I didn't know how many students would be in class or what the instructor was like. But I was pleasantly surprised. The instructor was a nice young girl who knows the basics and was able to give me a few tips that helped immediately. There was only one other person in the class and I have to admit I was a bit more advanced than she was. Now, that's not bragging - cause lord knows, I'm no shark in the pool. But this girl was a true beginner, trying to learn how to float and kick and turn her head to breath. She never left the edge of the pool. We spoke after class and she said this was her sixth lesson. Wow! I felt like a freaking stud! :) (well, not including the part where I tried to do breast stroke - you're kidding right? people actually DO this? in races?)

Overall, it was a nice way to end the day. Because today I acted on a really major life decision. Today I put the house on the market. I don't have a plan beyond that. No plan for what I will do if or when it actually sells. And I AM A PLANNER. Heck, planning is part of my job. It's certainly part of who I am, but I don't have a plan. This just seemed like the right thing to do at this time - so there you have it. I put the house on the market and learned how to swim better today.

Quite a day. I am an athlete :)

No comments: