Sunday, February 24, 2008

Fresh air once more

It was soooo nice to finally get outside again today. In my haste, I had to go twice. The first time I was drawn by the allure of fresh air and blue skies and a thermometer that read 30 degrees. The first corner I turned made me think, uh oh... it's a little windy out here. Then I turned another corner and thought... hmmm more than a little windy. I've got to go back and get a different jacket. So back I went. Then I swear, the sun came out, the wind stopped and I was sweating. But then I turned another corner, oh yes, there's the wind again. Put the gloves back on, put the earmuffs back on. Do you know how hard it is to put sweaty gloves on frozen hands while running and carrying a water bottle?

So ice and snow on the sidewalks, mud and potholes on the roads, dirt in my shoes and my knees and feet pounding from pounding the pavement... How I missed the outdoors! So good to be back.

And dare I say it here... where others can read it? I am considering triathlon. For me this means, taking a swim lesson or two (or hundred!) to overcome my fear of the pool; buying the first bike I've ever owned - since I was a skinny twelve year old with pigtails; and learning terms like big ring and 200 on the 2:05 - or whatever it really is! :) But these things will wait. They will sit and simmer in the back of my mind until after the marathon in Newport, May 31. I want 4 hours! I want 4 hours! I will NOT be denied!!

1 comment:

HappyBlogChick said...

A triathalon - wow! That's a wonderful goal.

I'm happy for you that you were able to enjoy the outdoors.