Sunday, February 17, 2008

Come on SPRING!

I wanted to run outside today... anything to get me out of the basement, staring at the walls or watching some dumb tv program, a change of scenary please! But mother nature had other plans... I walked out the front door to take the dog for his morning walk and we both just about ended up on our behinds! It was 30 degrees and raining, but the worst of it was there was a SHEET of ICE on everything - roads, sidewalks, cars, mailboxes... Not cool.

So we took a short walk the back way, staying on the only surface that was safe - the snow. Did I mention my dog is on restrictions at the moment and supposed to be taking it easy to rest his ACL? This is a border collie who is used to getting 2 walks of 1-2 (or more) miles in duration every day for his entire 8 years! He is NOT happy with mom. He was very excited this morning to be going in the snow - and couldn't figure out what that boat anchor was tied to his neck. Mom, will you hurry up here? I've got places to go, things to sniff and pee on. Hurry up! Hurry up! HURRY UP! I struggled holding him back so he wouldn't hurt himself. We only went a short way,in which time he DID not do all of his business (poor guy!), and my socks fell down around my toes! Note to self, this sock and boot combo = bad idea! After five minutes, I was ready to rip my boots and socks off and go barefoot in the ice. Flashbacks of childhood!

So I was in a particularly pleasant mood by the time I trudged down stairs to the basement to run for an hour and 40 minutes! Ugh... please let spring come soon - or just let the roads be dry enough to run on without fear of bodily harm - or slush in the face. I made it through the run, but it wasn't pretty and I have to say the whole experience completely negated the great mood and motivation from yesterdays second viewing of the Kona Ironman.

I know some of you will think me nuts and others will completely get it... but I just want to do that. I want to be there. I want to live that experience. Now if only I had a bike ... or a pool...

1 comment:

HappyBlogChick said...

You are a ROCK STAR - thanks for the breathing tips. It helped yesterday when I did my run. No side stitch! hooray!

Careful out there in ice-land.

Is it spring yet?