Friday, August 8, 2008

The Olympics are here!

Every four years we get the pleasure of watching the world's best athletes compete in summer sports and every four years I am rivetted to my tv. I LOVE the summer olympics! Winter is okay too, but summer is where it's at! I love the drama and the excitement. I love hearing the national athem. I love when the athletes peak at just the right time on this biggest of international stages. I cringe when some poor little girl falls off the balance beam, some runner pulls up lame with a cramped or pulled muscle... I cry for them in their disappointment and cry tears of joy when the national anthem is sung. It is such an inspiration to watch these people who have devoted their lives to their sport living out their dreams. Getting to know them through the stories and the performances makes the games that much more enjoyable. Watching people from nations around the world come together to share the experience is incredible. Some of these athletes have no chance at winning a medal, but they are proud to be there to represent their countries - and once in a while one of them surprises the world - and THAT is phenomenal!

So you know where I'll be for the next 2 weeks... glued to my tv at every opportunity to cheer on the US and the underdogs, to root for record makers and come from behind finishes, to laugh and cry and cheer for the dreams of individuals, teams and entire countries.

No comments: