Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Days like today

I'm so glad I am a runner. So glad there is something to do with my body to relieve my mind of stress. Today there was an announcement that the very large company I work for had "entered into an agreement" to be bought by a much larger company. The opportunities are endless. The possibilities overwhelming. The unknowns very scary.

So, like any good runner, I went for a run. A run to clear my head, to think over the possibilities, the options, the "what ifs". And then to let that all go and just focus on the workout, feet hitting the pavement, arms swinging on that invisible track, breath regulated. Count the foot strikes, stay in the zone. It was supposed to be zone 1/zone 2 today. I figured zone 1 could wait for another day. I'm officially in taper so I didn't want to ruin other things like the fine training schedule the coach has me on, by overdoing it and going into zone 3 or 4. So I hung out in zone 2. Up the hills, into the wind, pounding the pavement, counting the foot strikes.... one. two. three. No worries.

And it worked. For a while. I have a hard time shutting off my mind, but I've gotten so much better at it this year with the training regime the elf has me on. I feel so much more connected to my body. I am able to get out of my head more. And it is such a relief. A relief to realize, I am not my thoughts, I am not my past, I am not the endless possibilities of the future. This moment, right here, right now... this moment is all that is. This moment is all that I have. I will make the most of this moment.

No comments: